The Tata Punch EV is an upcoming electric compact SUV from Tata Motors, the homegrown automaker that has been leading the electric vehicle revolution in India. The Punch EV is based on the ALFA platform, which also underpins the petrol-powered Punch that was launched in October 2021. The Punch EV will be Tata’s fourth electric car in India, after the Tigor EV, the Nexon EV, and the Altroz EV. The Punch EV is expected to launch in India by late 2023 or early 2024, and will compete with the likes of the Citroen eC3 and the Mahindra eKUV100.
Some of the key features of the Tata Punch EV are:
- A liquid-cooled battery pack with two different capacity options
- A permanent magnet synchronous motor that delivers around 60 bhp of power
- A rotary transmission dial and an electric parking brake
- A 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system with iRA connected car technology
- LED headlamps and tail lamps, fog lights, and dual-tone alloy wheels
- A sunroof and a rear spoiler with a high-mounted stop lamp
- Disc brakes on all four wheels and regenerative braking
- Ziptron technology that ensures fast charging and long range
The Tata Punch EV is expected to have similar dimensions as the petrol-powered Punch, which are as follows:
The Tata Punch EV is likely to have a bootspace of around 300 litres, which is slightly less than the petrol-powered Punch’s 366 litres. This is because of the battery pack that occupies some space under the floor.
The Tata Punch EV is expected to have a ground clearance of around 187 mm, which is the same as the petrol-powered Punch. This will enable the electric SUV to tackle rough roads and speed bumps with ease.
The Tata Punch EV will have a seating capacity of five people, with two seats in the front and three seats in the rear. The rear seats will have a 60:40 split-folding option to increase the luggage space.
New Tata Punch EV Range
The Tata Punch EV will come with two different battery pack options, similar to the Tiago EV and the Tigor EV. The smaller battery pack will have a capacity of around 16 kWh, while the larger battery pack will have a capacity of around 25 kWh. The smaller battery pack will offer a driving range of around 150 to 200 km on a single charge, while the larger battery pack will offer a driving range of around 250 to 300 km on a single charge.
Battery of Tata Punch EV
The Tata Punch EV will feature a liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery pack that will be placed under the floor of the vehicle. The battery pack will have a modular design that will allow for easy replacement and maintenance. The battery pack will also have an IP67 rating, which means that it will be dustproof and waterproof.
Tata Punch EV Charge Time
The Tata Punch EV will come with Ziptron technology, which is Tata’s proprietary electric vehicle technology that ensures fast charging and long range. The Ziptron technology will enable the Punch EV to charge from 0 to 80% in around an hour using a DC fast charger. The Punch EV will also support AC normal charging, which will take around six to eight hours to fully charge the battery.
The Tata Punch EV will be based on the ALFA (Agile Light Flexible Advanced) platform, which is a modular platform that can accommodate different body styles, powertrains, and features. The ALFA platform is designed to provide high structural rigidity, crash safety, and weight optimization.
The Tata Punch EV will have a suspension setup that consists of independent MacPherson struts at the front and twist beam with coil springs at the rear. The suspension setup will be tuned to provide a balance between ride comfort and handling stability.
The Tata Punch EV will have disc brakes on all four wheels, which will provide superior braking performance and safety. The Punch EV will also have regenerative braking, which will convert some of the kinetic energy of the vehicle into electrical energy and store it in the battery. This will help in increasing the driving range and reducing the brake wear.
The Tata Punch EV will have a top speed of around 120 km/h, which is similar to other electric cars in its segment. The top speed will be electronically limited to ensure safety and efficiency.
Interior Features of Tata Punch EV
The Tata Punch EV will have a spacious and premium interior that will offer various features and comforts for the occupants. Some of the interior features of the Punch EV are:
- A 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system with iRA connected car technology, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Harman speakers
- A digital instrument cluster that will display various information such as speed, battery level, range, and driving modes
- A flat-bottom steering wheel with an illuminated logo and mounted controls for audio, phone, and cruise control
- Automatic climate control with rear AC vents
- Push-button start/stop and keyless entry
- A sunroof and a rear armrest with cup holders
- Fabric upholstery and a dual-tone dashboard
Exterior Look of Tata Punch EV
The Tata Punch EV will have a distinctive and stylish exterior look that will make it stand out from the crowd. Some of the exterior features of the Punch EV are:
- A split headlamp design with LED DRLs and projector lamps
- A blanked-off grille with a chrome strip and a Tata logo
- Fog lights and a skid plate on the front bumper
- Dual-tone alloy wheels and black cladding on the wheel arches and lower body
- LED tail lamps and a rear spoiler with a high-mounted stop lamp
- A charging socket on the front bumper and a Ziptron badge on the tailgate
Many People Read This: PURE EV Etryst-350 Price In India, Range, Battery, Charge Time, Top Speed and Photos
The Tata Punch EV will have a high level of safety features that will protect the occupants and the vehicle in case of any mishap. Some of the safety features of the Punch EV are:
- Dual front airbags and ABS with EBD
- ESP with traction control and hill hold assist
- Rear parking sensors and camera
- ISOFIX child seat anchors and seat belt reminders
- Tyre pressure monitoring system and immobilizer
The Tata Punch EV will have a robust and durable build quality that will reflect Tata’s engineering excellence. The Punch EV will be made of high-strength steel and aluminium, which will provide strength and lightness. The Punch EV will also have a corrosion-resistant body and a scratch-resistant paint.
Crash Test Ratings of Tata Punch EV
The Tata Punch EV has not been tested by any NCAP body yet, but it is expected to have a high level of crash safety. The petrol-powered Punch scored a five-star rating in the Global NCAP crash test, which is an impressive feat for an Indian car. The Punch EV will have similar structural integrity and safety features as the petrol-powered Punch, which will make it one of the safest electric cars in India.
The Tata Punch EV will be available in various colors that will suit different tastes and preferences. The colors that are likely to be offered are:
- Flame Red
- Daytona Grey
- Arizona Blue
- Pure Silver
- Pearlescent White
The Tata Punch EV will be offered in four variants – XE, XT, ZX, and ZX Plus Tech Lux. The base model of the Punch EV will be the XE variant, which will have the following features:
- A 16 kWh battery pack with a range of around 150 to 200 km
- A 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with iRA connected car technology, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and four speakers
- A digital instrument cluster with a 3.5-inch display
- A normal steering wheel with mounted controls for audio and phone
- Manual AC with rear AC vents
- Fabric upholstery and a single-tone dashboard
- Halogen headlamps and tail lamps, fog lights, and steel wheels
- Dual front airbags and ABS with EBD
New Tata Punch EV Expected Launch Date in India
The Tata Punch EV is expected to launch in India by late 2023 or early 2024. The exact launch date has not been announced by Tata Motors yet, but it is likely to be revealed soon.
Tata Punch EV Expected Price in India
The Tata Punch EV is expected to be priced in the range of Rs. 9.50 lakh to Rs. 12.50 lakh (ex-showroom). The price will vary depending on the battery pack option, variant, features, and subsidies.
The Tata Punch EV is an upcoming electric compact SUV from Tata Motors that will offer a stylish design, a spacious interior, a powerful motor, a long range, fast charging, and various features. The Punch EV will be based on the ALFA platform with Ziptron technology, which will ensure high performance, efficiency, safety, and durability. The Punch EV will be launched in India by late 2023 or early 2024, and will compete with the Citroen eC3 and the Mahindra eKUV100.
Upcoming Tata Punch EV – Specification
|ALFA (Agile Light Flexible Advanced) platform
|Liquid-cooled battery pack, 60 bhp motor, Ziptron technology
|10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment, LED headlamps, sunroof, regenerative braking
|Length: 3840 mm, Width: 1722 mm, Height: 1615 mm, Wheelbase: 2450 mm
|Approximately 300 liters (due to battery pack)
|Around 187 mm
|Five people, 60:40 split-folding rear seats
|Two battery pack options: 16 kWh (150-200 km) and 25 kWh (250-300 km)
|Liquid-cooled lithium-ion with modular design, IP67 rating
|0-80% in around an hour with DC fast charger, 6-8 hours with AC normal charging
|Designed for structural rigidity, crash safety, and weight optimization
|Front: Independent MacPherson struts, Rear: Twist beam with coil springs
|Disc brakes on all four wheels, regenerative braking
|Around 120 km/h (electronically limited)
|10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment, digital instrument cluster, flat-bottom steering wheel
|Automatic climate control, push-button start, sunroof, fabric upholstery, dual-tone dashboard
|Split headlamp design with LED DRLs, fog lights, dual-tone alloy wheels
|Blank front grille with chrome strip, skid plate, LED tail lamps
|Dual front airbags, ABS with EBD, ESP with traction control, hill hold assist
|Rear parking sensors and camera, ISOFIX child seat anchors, tire pressure monitoring
|High-strength steel and aluminum construction, corrosion-resistant body, scratch-resistant paint
|Crash Test Ratings
|Expected to have a high level of crash safety, similar to the petrol-powered Punch
|Flame Red, Daytona Grey, Arizona Blue, Pure Silver, Pearlescent White
|Late 2023 or early 2024
|Rs. 9.50 lakh to Rs. 12.50 lakh (ex-showroom), varies by battery pack and variant
|XE, XT, ZX, and ZX Plus Tech Lux
|Base model (XE) with a 16 kWh battery pack and basic features
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers about the Tata Punch EV:
- Q: When will the Tata Punch EV be launched in India?
- A: The Punch EV is expected to be launched in India in early 2024.
- Q: What are the differences between the Tata Punch EV and the Tata Punch?
- A: The Punch EV is an electric version of the Tata Punch, which is a petrol-powered sub-4 metre SUV. The Tata Punch EV will have an electric powertrain with a battery pack and a motor instead of an internal combustion engine and a transmission. The Tata Punch EV will also have some styling updates such as blanked-off grille, blue accents, and EV badges to differentiate it from the Tata Punch.
- Q: What are the advantages of the Tata Punch EV over the Citroen eC3?
- A: The Punch EV will compete with the Citroen eC3, which is another compact electric SUV that was launched in India in 2023. Some of the advantages of the Tata Punch EV over the Citroen eC3 are:
- The Tata Punch EV will have two battery pack options with different ranges while the Citroen eC3 will have only one battery pack option with a range of around 300 km.
- The Tata Punch EV will support both AC and DC charging options while the Citroen eC3 will support only AC charging option.
- The Punch EV will have four-wheel disc brakes while the Citroen eC3 will have disc brakes at the front and drum brakes at the rear.
- The Punch EV will have more interior and exterior features such as sunroof, ambient lighting, Harman Kardon sound system, split headlamp design, dual-tone alloy wheels, roof rails, skid plates, cladding, spoiler, etc. while the Citroen eC3 will have fewer features such as LED headlamps, alloy wheels, roof bars, etc.
- Q: What are the driving modes of the Tata Punch EV?
- A: The Punch EV is expected to have three driving modes, which are:
- Eco: This mode will optimize the power output and the regenerative braking system to maximize the range and efficiency of the vehicle.
- City: This mode will provide a balanced performance and efficiency for normal driving conditions.
- Sport: This mode will boost the power output and the responsiveness of the vehicle for a more exhilarating driving experience.
- Q: How can I book the Tata Punch EV?
- A: The Punch EV is not yet available for booking. However, you can register your interest on the official website of Tata Motors or visit your nearest Tata Motors dealership to get more information and updates about the vehicle.